Monday 13 January 2014

DAPCU Khordha DPM's Experience of First International Conference on HIV Sensitive Social Protection

An Experience of

First International Conference on HIV Sensitive Social Protection- Delhi

On behalf of DAPCU ODISHA I had attended the First International Conference on HIV sensitive social protection at Delhi on December 11-12, 2013. It was an honour to be a part of the team witnessing the first ever international meet. Experience in the conference added lots of values and boosted  my enthusiasm and courage to work closely for the cause. Lot of things I came to know from the events where I had participated and shared. This will be reflected in the steps taken ahead for my district. Followings are some of my experiences and learning from the conference.

The requirement of National AIDS Control Programme is not confined to   care support and treatment but has extended to linkages of the PLHA for social protection scheme. Now the time has came to advocate for various schemes to give humanitarian touch for the people living with HIV AIDS.

Although DAPCUs in Odisha have already been involved in facilitating PLHA and HRG to avail schemes still there is long way forward. I came to know about the thematic components, efforts in policy and strategies adopted by different states and nations as well for linkages of PLHA to social protection schemes. 

This is my first ever participation and exposure in International Conference which helped me to understand various schemes, policies and strategies to link PLHA in to social protection schemes. It also enriched my knowledge and boosted my confidence to work for the PLHA in my district. I had shared my views and challenges faced in my District and state during group discussions held during the conference. During the two days of the conference, I met DPMs of DAPCU AP, Delhi and Maharastra and we discussed about innovative programmes and the strategies adopted in different parts of the country to facilitate PLHA and HRG to access social protections schemes. DPM of Maharastra explained regarding inclusion of HRGs in voter list and facilitating to providing voter ID to them, in coordination with concerned department. I realized that, the same strategy can be adopted in my district also. I came to know about the  importance given to linkages of PLHA in to social protection schemes in NACP phase -4 and that all DAPCUs need to play a vital role i,e facilitator for linkages to the schemes. I realized that DAPCU need to ensure effective mechanism for delivery of social protection schemes.

My utmost gratitude to Dr. N. Goel , Dy Director General, Dept. of AIDS Control, Delhi and mainstreaming division for giving me chance to attend the conference and sincere gratefulness to DAPCU National Resource Team(DNRT) for ,support and confidence imposed on me and nominating my candidature. I must be thankful to my Project Director, OSACS for his kind support.

The efforts of UNDP and Dept. of AIDS Control, Delhi are really appreciable. This was an important and very good initiative to bring different nations on to one platform to discuss and plan for the People Living with HIV and AIDS. Hope these efforts would continue in future. 

No comments: